Skip to content
Tips to optimize the use of your central air heat pump or air conditioner during heat waves:
- During a heat wave, it is normal to notice an accumulation of water when the humidity levels are high. Once the humidity percentage reaches normal levels, the water will subside.
- A dehumidifier is highly recommended in the basement which will help the heat pump or central air conditioner to remove the humidity much faster.
- To optimize the circulation of cool air throughout your home, it is very important to close the air duct outlets in the basement during the air conditioning season, and for two story homes (with two floors over the basement), keep the air duct outlets for the first floor open at 25 % and keep them 100 % open on the second floor.
- A reminder to change your air filter when it gets dirty, ideally once per season. A dirty air filter is the main reason why a heat pump or central air conditioning system provides less cooling.
- Activating your heat pump or air conditioner before the start of a heat wave will allow your home to cool off much faster.
- Closing your window, door blinds and curtains during the daytime will minimize the impact of the sun rays inside your home.